GUIDANCE NOTES FOR COMPLETION THE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE SCHEME APPLICATION FORM
If an applicant whose application for financial assistance was successful in prior year and the adverse financial impact resulted from the “sudden and unexpected” change of circumstances is still proven after the 12 month period, the case is deemed eligible for the means test till the completion of student’s schooling at primary or at secondary school. Under any circumstances, financial assistance granted to a particular student will not be more than 5 years (Year 2 to 6) and 6 years (Year 8 to 13) for primary and secondary school student respectively. Financial assistance will be granted provided that the means test is passed. Each case will be reviewed individually based on the supporting documents provided.
Tuition fees relief for 3 months will be granted following the death of a parent. Application needs to be made within 12 month after the death and a copy of the death certificate is required. Means test is not required in this situation. Should the student needs any further financial assistance after the 3 month period, a separate application is required.
If the family of an applicant is in receipt of Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) from the government during the school year, means test will be exempt and full remission will be granted upon application and supporting document received. Additional financial assistance will be considered to cover the student’s mandatory education or curriculum expenses including public examination fees, CAS activity fees, compulsory laptop and etc.
In the absence of “sudden and unexpected” change of circumstances, financial assistance will be considered
- the family has 2 or more students currently studying in ESF schools, and
- one of whom has been studying in an ESF school continuously for 5 years or more, and
- the family has good tuition fees payment history, and
- the family’s income and assets level pass the means test
Please state the following under income declaration:
- Annual salaries / wages, business profit, any other earned income of all family members received in the year (for 2012/13, the relevant income should refer to 1 April 2011 – 31 March 2012). The annual income for the period should also include bonus, commissions, tips and any allowance received. All latest income information of the applicant which can help ESF make an informed decision would be welcomed. Applications made later in school year should supply most recent data on income.
- Remittances and contributions received from family members, relatives or friends.
- Annual rent received in the past financial year from letting of any houses, flats, shops or land owned by any member of the family (in Hong Kong or overseas). This should also include any subletting of house/flat occupied by the family. Details of which should be given in the ASSETS Section.
- Documentary evidence in respect of the earned income of every member of the family which include:
- Photocopies of latest Salaries Tax demand note from Inland Revenue Department
- Photocopies of latest salary statement or contract
In addition, for self-employed workers, it will be necessary for them to provide in writing details of income earned with supporting evidence during the relevant period, which include:
- Photocopies of latest Profit Tax demand note from Inland Revenue Department
- Photocopies of Audited Profit and Loss account and Balance Sheet
- Photocopies of last three months’ bank statements / passbook records in respect of all current / savings / fixed deposit accounts held by yourself and family members. The photocopy of the first page of each passbook showing the name(s) of the account holder(s) should be included.
- Photocopies of rental agreement, receipt for rent received (including sub-letting) or rent paid, rates or mortgage repayment of the property / properties or dwelling place.
- A social welfare or medical certificate in respect of the Medical Cost Section.
Applicants should be the parents or the legal guardian of the student(s).
Applicants are required to complete in full all the details requested in the application form. Otherwise, the application may not be considered.
Failure to produce documentation without good reason may lead to rejection of application.
Applications and documents submitted are not returnable.
The information provided will be used for the purpose of processing your application for Financial Assistance Scheme.
After the application has been processed, the data will be retained for future administration. The data held by us will be kept confidential and is only accessible to the School Fees Department.
You have the right to obtain access to and to request correction of any personal information on you held by the ESF. Requests for such access should be in writing and made to the Manager, School Fees Section.
In normal circumstances, applications should be submitted at the beginning of the school year or during the school year but no later than 30 April 2013.
Please click here to download the application form.