1. What happens if an applicant’s priority status changes?
An applicant’s priority status may change, for example, through making a Nomination Rights application or as a result of a sibling gaining entry to an ESF school. In such cases, the applicant will be placed on the waiting list in their newly acquired priority group according to the date the priority change occurred.
2. When should I submit applications to ESF schools for my children?
Parents may submit one online application for admission for the current academic year or for the following academic year for ESF primary or secondary, Discovery College or Renaissance College. There are waiting lists at each of our schools and the offer of a place is dependent on vacancy being available.
Central Applications for 2023/24 Year 1 (born in 2018) for ESF primary schools, Discovery College and Renaissance College and Year 7 (born in 2012 for ESF secondary schools) will open in September 2022. For parents who wish to apply, please click Year 1 or Year 7 for the latest application information.
Those who are applying for years other than Year 1 and Year 7 need to apply through General Applications.
Applicants to ESF International Kindergartens should refer to our website for further information on admissions procedures.
3. What are the selection criteria of ESF schools for applicants?
Admission is through interview/assessment and depends above all on the student’s ability to benefit from an ESF education. Moreover, school places are offered according to zone (geographic location of the students’ address) for ESF primary and secondary schools. Discovery College and Renaissance College remain zone free. Please click here to see further details on ESF’s Admissions Policy.
For ESF’s two all-through Private Independent Schools (PIS), Discovery College (DC) and Renaissance College (RCHK), the admissions policy has to be in line with the Hong Kong Government’s requirements for all Private Independent Schools (PIS):
- RCHK and DC have no catchment area. Any student residing in Hong Kong can apply to attend.
- When the Colleges are at full capacity, at least 70% of the total students enrolled must have at least one parent who has Hong Kong permanent resident status.
4. How should I apply for school places other than Year 1 or Year 7?
For General Applications, parents may submit an online general application for admission for the current academic year or the following academic year for an ESF primary or secondary school or Discovery College or Renaissance College. There are waiting lists at each of our schools and the offer of a place is dependent on vacancy being available.
5. What is the process for reapplication for the next academic year?
Applicants on the current waitlist will be sent a system email in February or March inviting them to reapply. (No reapplication fee is required.) If no reapplication is received, the application will be considered withdrawn.
6. The one form application asks for three preferences of schools. The options are ESF school of zone, Discovery College and Renaissance College. Do I need to fill in ALL three preferences of schools?
You may choose one school or up to three schools. Parents must be prepared to attend any of the schools selected. Once the application is submitted, the preference may not be altered. The interview/assessment will only be for one school.
For General Applications, the applicant is placed on the wait list of your 1st preference school. For Year 1 and Year 7 Central Applications, the applicant will waitlist for the 1st preference school if they are no availability for an interview/assessment.
7. Can an applicant be considered at an alternative out of zone ESF school if there are no places for the zoned school?
If there is availability, we will look at this option to direct applicants who have indicated they are willing to go out of zone. Parent are responsible for transportation to school as there is no PTA bus serving out of zone areas.
Last updated: 20 July 2022