Known as Glenealy Junior School at that time, the school first opened its doors in 1959 in Mid-Levels with 11 classes and 14 staff. In 1979, the school became an ESF school. However, it was demolished in 1981 to make way for property development. About 400 students were temporarily moved to where it used to be the Victoria Barracks in Admiralty. It was not until 1989 that the new community-based school on Hornsey Road, Mid-Levels, finally opened its doors and the students moved back in.