1. From time to time it is necessary for students (or their parents/guardians) and staff members to supply the English Schools Foundation (“ESF”) or ESF Educational Services Ltd (“ESL”), with certain personal data for school administrative, academic, pastoral purposes and alumni activities.
2. Personal data of staff members, students and their parents/guardians will be handled by relevant ESF or ESL staff members and will be kept confidential. Such data will be kept by ESF indefinitely, however, if the data is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected/used, the data may be destroyed.
3. Staff members’ experience and/or teaching qualifications may be made available to relevant ESF and ESL stakeholders at the discretion of the school’s Principal or Department Head. (For example, on school web sites [including but not limited to social media sites] or announcements of appointments in newsletters or emails.
4. ESF or ESL may also disclose some of the data to third parties such as agencies (including the Hong Kong government), service providers and contractors (whether within or outside Hong Kong) appointed by ESF or ESL to undertake some of its academic, pastoral and administrative and alumni functions. This includes transferring data between ESF and ESL.
5. ESF or ESL may use personal data (such as name and contact details) to send communications that are relevant to parents and students, including but not limited to newsletters, programmes, courses, seminars, lectures, conferences, events and extra-curricular activities and clubs of ESF, ESL or selected third party service providers. ESF or ESL will provide an opportunity for data subjects to opt-in to receiving materials which may have a direct marketing component.
6. Apart from the parties listed above, ESF or ESL will not disclose any personal data to any external bodies or organisations unless:
(a) such disclosure is expressly provided for under this Statement;
(b) permitted to do so by the student or his/her parent/guardian; and/or
(c) permitted or required by law.
7. Personal data may be stored in the ESF or ESL database systems and online portals and any such personal data provided will form part of the staff member or the student’s official records (as relevant) at ESF or ESL.
8. In schools where there are Parent Teacher Associations (PTA), ESF or ESL may provide such data to the relevant PTA for inclusion in the PTA directory and other PTA activities. If you do not wish your details to be included in the PTA directory, please inform the relevant ESF or ESL school accordingly.
9. ESF or ESL may place staff members’ and student’s photos, name or school work, activities and accomplishments in ESF or ESL publications, websites (including but not limited to social media sites) used by ESF or ESL for organizational purposes.
10. Failure to provide the data requested may result in ESF or ESL being unable to proceed with the purpose for which such data was requested.
11. Data subjects may submit a signed, written request to the Principal of the relevant school to access or to correct personal data held by ESF or ESL. ESF or ESL shall levy a charge for accessing the information.
If you have any queries about our policy and practices, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: 17 July 2020