The past 48 hours have been incredibly difficult in Hong Kong. When I wrote to you at the start of the academic year I pledged our full commitment to preserving the continuity of learning during the protests, but only if we could guarantee the safety of our students and staff.
It became apparent overnight that the situation in Hong Kong was highly volatile, unpredictable and changing fast. Based on the most timely and credible information we received early this morning, including crucial feedback from our transport providers, we decided that the best, and only, option available to us, was to suspend classes in our schools.
I believe that it was – and is – right for us to wait to the very last moment before we take a decision like this. When faced with challenges such as these, we only really know what a morning is going to be like at the start of the day. As you are all too aware, we simply cannot predict with any certainty what might happen – we have to wait and see.
That is why we are going to adopt the same approach tomorrow morning. Of course we want to reopen our schools to students, but we can only do that when we are sure we are not putting your children and our staff in harm’s way by doing so.
I will be meeting with my Senior Team early tomorrow morning to decide if it is safe to have our schools open to receive students. We will communicate that decision to our schools and they will then be in touch with you through their usual channels. You should expect to hear whether your school is open or closed at around the same time as you heard today.
I want to thank you for your continued and passionate support of ESF. We are blessed to have such caring, dedicated families and, even with these extra challenges to overcome, our staff are determined to make good on our promise to you: to help your child be the best that they can.
Chief Executive Officer
English Schools Foundation