ESF Chairman’s Awards for Excellence 2017 Ceremony
The English Schools Foundation (ESF) held the ESF Chairman’s Awards for Excellence 2017 Ceremony today to recognise the outstanding performance of 225 ESF graduates. They include:
- 38 students from 2016-17 Year 13 cohort with outstanding achievement in Leadership, Commitment and Contribution to Service, Embodying the Spirit and Values of the school, Sporting Achievement and Creativity;
- 151 students who achieved the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with 42 or more points (or a Bilingual Diploma with 40 or more points);
- 3 students who achieved an average of 5 and above for IB Diploma courses and a GPA of 3.0 (B grade) at SCAD in the IB Career-related Programme (IBCP);
- 54 students who achieved the equivalent of 420 or more UCAS points on the Applied Learning Programme.
A highlight of the evening was the Carlson Tong Award presented to students for distinctive performance in the Bilingual Diploma. Six students received this special award this year. They achieved the maximum 7 points for two languages, both of which were studied as a first language.
A press gathering was held before the ceremony and nine awardees shared their stories of school life and memorable learning experiences. More than 400 students, parents and teachers attended the award ceremony to celebrate the students’ outstanding achievements.
ESF Chairman Mr Abraham Shek praised the students for their academic and wider achievements. “ESF has a tradition of excellence in academics, sport and cultural activities. Students leave ESF as confident, well-educated and internationally-minded individuals who are equipped to play constructive roles in our global society,” he said.
Outstanding awardees share their stories
Nine awardees shared their study experience and interesting stories of their time in school.
- Kengie TANG (Discovery College) received the ESF Chairman’s Award for Embodying the Spirit and Values of the School. She has extensive volunteer experience, including working with animal homing organisations in Hong Kong and Singapore, as well as volunteering at poverty-alleviation NGO in the Philippines. She will be studying Animal Science at the University of California, USA.
- Gladwin HO (King George V School) achieved 42 points in the IB Diploma. Being the former KGV Head Boy and ESF Student Council Chairperson, he was awarded the ESF Chairman’s Award for Leadership. He will be studying Medicine at Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Michelle LIN (King George V School) achieved 45 points in the IB Diploma. She will be studying Dentistry at King’s College in the UK.
- Claudia LAU (Island School) received the ESF Chairman’s Award for Creativity. Talented in music, she obtained a LTCL Diploma in Piano from Trinity College London and was the Section Leader of the School Chamber Choir. She will be studying Arts-Music at King’s College, UK.
- Deborah KWONG (Island School) achieved 43 points in the IB Bilingual Diploma. She will be studying Medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Mandy LEE Kim-hyun (South Island School) achieved 42 points in the IB Bilingual Diploma. She was also awarded the Carlson Tong Award for her outstanding performance in the Bilingual Diploma. She will be studying Quantitative Methods at the University College London in the UK.
- Vivian KWOK (South Island School) received the ESF Chairman’s Award for Commitment and Contribution to Service. She was the Chair of SIS’s Making a Difference (MaD) Council last year, overseeing and organising the school’s annual HK$60,000 fundraising initiative to raise money for the Jumpstart Kindergarten in the Philippines. She will be studying Psychology at the University of Bath, UK.
- Wesley LOR (Sha Tin College) received the ESF Chairman’s Award for Embodying the Spirit and Values of the School for his devotion to his school. He was the house captain and had organised school dance competition. He will be studying Kinesiology at Simon Fraser University in Canada.
- Mila LYTHERAO (West Island School) also achieved 45 points in the IB Diploma. She will be studying Psychology at the University of Bath in the UK.
Click HERE to browse more photos.
Updated on: 24 August 2017